Screw it

I wasn’t going to post while all this was happening, as some of you who read this know me in the real world, but fuck it. Blogging helped hugely the last time, so why not give it another bash?

We decided a while ago that we were ready for number 2. Miss B is almost 2 herself, and we thought that might be a good age gap. So, 10 months ago now, we started trying again. All up, we had 8 months of regular trying, which was interrupted earlier in the year with me having to get my gall bladder removed. Note to readers: if you’re getting horrible pain and tightness across your chest for hours at a time, it might just be your gallbladder. Get the bloody thing out. 

Anyway. Off track already. Oops. We decided last month that enough was enough, the natural attempt to fall pregnant wasn’t working, and didn’t we have an embryo frozen for just this reason? A good quality one too – blastocyst, grade 5BA. Perfect! Let’s just do that. 

So. We were all teed up to do a transfer this month. It was a natural FET (frozen embryo transfer), so I wasn’t on any drugs, just tracking ovulation. 

Had a phone call from the embryologist the night before, the embryo has been defrosted and would be in the incubator overnight, ready for transfer in the morning. 

Day of transfer (yesterday), I got up nice and early and made the hour trip into the city to the clinic. A fairly uneventful drive apart form the last 10 minutes, which is navigating busy roads and awkward turns through the city. That’s when the fertility specialist called. I was 5 minutes from the clinic when she rang to tell me that the embryo hadn’t survived the night. 

Not quite sure how I managed to still reach the clinic, I was streaming tears and couldn’t concentrate on what I was doing, but somehow I arrived. I’d told the specialist that I wanted to talk to her about next cycle, so she kindly said she’d hang around for me (yesterday also happened to be a public holiday).

Long chat cut short, we’ve decided to try the whole IVF thing again. Back to the drawing board, so to speak. Thankfully we’re in a position to be able to roll straight into the new cycle, both time and money are currently on our side (well, still working out the money thing, but we’ll make it happen somehow).

So here we are again. Back into fertility treatment land. Thanks for sticking with me through my extreme absences on the blog – I’m hoping to be just as thrilling this time around, hopefully with an equally positive outcome. 

Hold on to your butts,

Jane xx

Advertisements

10 thoughts on “Screw it

  1. RC says:

    Good to hear from you, I had wondered how you were getting on.
    No good that you’re having you stim again- I’ve done another stim cycle, also for #2, and following a failed thawed embie. I’ve been meaning to update the blog!

      • RC says:

        Well…. not as successful as stim 1! Had 9 eggs collected, 5 mature. 4 fertilised, and I have 2 x d3, and a lone day 5. Last stim I got 6 x d5 embies, but only 1 of those worked out. Hopefully I’ve got quality over quantity this time.
        I did a freeze -all cycle, and currently tracking Ovulation to transfer a day 3.
        When do you start to stim?

      • Jane says:

        Yep, only takes 1! My first cycle we had 6 mature, 5 fertilised, all made it to day 5 but only 2 good ones. Transferred one and froze the other (the failed FET). So technically we only had one good one!

        Should start stims around the 18th Nov, depending on when my cycle kicks in. Excited and petrified at the same time. The usual.

  2. RC says:

    How are you going, Jane?
    I’ve just had an unsuccessful 3dt, deciding now between another transfer before Christmas, or waiting until the new year

    • Jane says:

      Ahhh bugger RC, that sucks, I’m sorry to hear it. I’m still in the thick of the stims, retrieval should be some time this week. What are you leaning towards with the next transfer? Do you have many frozen?

      • RC says:

        Good luck with the stims and pick up. Hopefully your next bub is amongst them!
        We’ve got another 3d and a 5d emby. I want to grow the 3 dayer out to 5, and then tx the best one.
        I kind of want to get straight back into it with a transfer, but a large part of me would like to enjoy Christmas, Christmas drinks, etc etc. Not quite sure if I can face the 2ww, the acupuncture etc etc again so quickly

      • Jane says:

        I hear you – if this one doesn’t take we’ll take a break until next year. Mainly because I think the clinic shuts down in December. If we get a chance I think I’ll go straight for another transfer if it comes to it though – I’m so sick of waiting! Fingers crossed your next transfer is the one.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s